Progressive spells, also known as Dichotomic and Dissident spells, are spells, songs, and disciplines that improve as you complete specific content. First introduced in The Broken Mirror, they received an improvement with The Burning Lands.
The Broken Mirror
- Alakhazam: The Broken Mirror Overview > Spells - See the section Progression 6/6 Rank spell line for each class
Among the other, more normal, spells, each class gets a progressive "Dichotomic" spell or discipline with six ranks that levels as you complete TBM progression. This spell is touted as a powerful spell / discipline customized for each class.
They are purchased from Warlowe Rida (Spells) next to Quellious in the Plane of Tranquility. She can be found using the Find window (Ctrl-F).
The Dichotomic spell is not scribed in your spellbook in the normal fashion, instead right click the scroll you buy from her.
To level up the spell, you need to right-click the item granted as a reward for the following achievements:
- Champion of Sul Vius: Demiplane of Life (Group) (10 Points): Right-click Duality of Life to now cast Rank 2
- Champion of Sul Vius: Demiplane of Decay (Group) (10 Points): Right-click Duality of Decay to now cast Rank 3
- Champion of the Plane of Health (Raid) (10 Points): Right-click Quintessence of Health to now cast Rank 4
- Champion of the Crypt of Decay (Raid) (10 Points): Right-click Quintessence of Decay to now cast Rank 5
- Mirrorbreaker (Raid) (10 Points): Right-click Synthesis of Sul to now cast Rank 6
The range of power of the dichotomics are 1 to 6, with the 6th being about 25% more powerful than the 1st.
The Burning Lands
The following are the requirements introduced with The Burning Lands. The TBL spells are known as Dissident.
- Under the hood
- For most other spells, you get a scroll/tome/song and right click it to memorize it. It goes in your spellbook/combat window at that level and then you use it at that level.
- Progressive spells use special mechanics that put 'hidden' spells on your character at level 250, and it's those spells that get triggered when you use the base ability.
- A script on the base spell item gives you these hidden spells as well as the base spell. If you just get them from /spellscribe, the hidden spells won't get applied and the base spell won't have anything to trigger. As of 11/6, the scroll/tome items should give you the hidden spells.
- How you get them
- These will be sold on a vendor (name/location to be determined) in the Burning Lands expansion. In that form, they will give you the hidden spells you qualify for.
- How you make them better
- The spells are tied to your progression through the expansion. You'll be able to cast at least the first rank just for buying it, but getting the best rank will require raiding.
- Each rank of these spells is tied to an achievement, and earning that achievement will grant you an item to use to upgrade your spells.
- What can go wrong
- There are a lot of safeguards in EverQuest to prevent you from having spells you 'shouldn't' have. Unfortunately they all think that you shouldn't have these hidden spells.
- /spellscribe is the most common culprit in Beta. It starts by wiping all your spells and then giving you all the spells that are <= to your level and match your class. This process wipes the hidden spells (if you have any) and only gives you the base spell, which will no longer do anything.
- Upgrading yourself to a heroic character uses the same function as spellscribe behind the scenes, so it will do the same things. We have added a hook at the end of the upgrade process to re-run the hidden spell script, so this shouldn't happen any more, but it got a lot of people. We're going to update that script with this one as well.
- Changing religions can do this too, as that process attempts to remove any spells you had that you no longer qualify to have memorized (for any reason).
- For the existing spells from The Broken Mirror, talking to Warlowe Rida in the Plane of Tranquility will fix your missing hidden spells. I plan to implement a similar method for The Burning Lands.
- When you get what
- Rank 1 - No requirements, just buy it
- Rank 2 - Complete Adventurer of the Burning Lands (Group) OR Complete the Plane of Health achievement in the Broken Mirror (old rank 5).
- Rank 3 - Complete Vindicator of The Burning Lands (Group) OR Complete access to Crypt of Sul (old rank 6).
- Rank 4 - Complete Heatseeker (Group).
- Rank 5 - Complete access to request one of the second tier TBL raids (Achievement: Winds of Ash (Raid)).
- Rank 6 - Complete access to request one of the third tier TBL raids (Achievement: Flameward (Raid)).