Rain of Fear
- SOE Community Webcast: EverQuest - Rain of Fear
- SOE: In Game Loot with the EverQuest: Rain of Fear Expansion
- Level cap increase from 95 to 100 – Achieve a new max level of 100 and set a new standard of gameplay.
- Hunter System – Gain special rewards and titles for defeating large numbers of foes.
- Aggro Meter – A brand new tool to help better manage your aggro. You can now see your aggro level relative to your group.
- Collection System – Discover items throughout Norrath and collect sets for exciting rewards and titles.
- Improved Brokering System – Sell items in the Bazaar while being offline! More flexibility as a buyer to search and purchase from anywhere in the world.
- New Linear Item Progression – Stats on armor collected will increase as you move up from one tier to another.
- Customization with non-visible armor – All non-visible armor in Rain of Fear can be worn by all. You'll be able to customize your stats for every encounter.
- Class-specific stat distribution – Collect items that are designed specifically for each classes' abilities.
- More than 1800 New Spells (Ranks 1, 2 & 3) – Exponentially add to your spell arsenal.
- More than 550 AAs – Elevate your power and abilities like never before.
- More than 3500 New Items – Create your own identity with thousands of new items.
- More than 3000 New Tradeskill recipes – Increase your value across Norrath by creating items only available by your craftsmanship.
- More than 110 Quests – Challenge your skills and gather useful loot.
- 13 Raids – Collect valuable rewards from all new adventures.
- 9 Zones – Be the first to discover untouched lands of Norrath.
- 19 Missions – Experience intriguing lore and immersive Missions.
- Continued opportunity to kill off Halflings.
- Legends of Norrath™ – 5 Digital Booster Packs.
- Main article: The Bazaar
Autonomous Brokering is a system which allows you to sell items while off-line. It also includes being able to purchase items from anywhere in Norrath.
- Main article: Achievements > Collection
|“|| Collection items are found throughout every new zone in Rain of Fear. The items each fit into unique sets, and provide additional insight into the lore and stories of EverQuest: Rain of Fear. With four sets in each zone, and eight to ten items making up a complete set, there are tons of items to collect. There is even a "meta set" that is scattered throughout all of the Rain of Fear zones!
There are two ways to gather these collections. Some of the items are found through drops. Others are placed out in the open in the zone and "sparkle" in order to grab the adventurer's attention and promote exploration. The items and collections are themed to each area. For example, you may collect Beard Styles off of Coldain and Frost Giants.
While you might enjoy collecting these items just for the achievements they unlock, you'll also enjoy the rewards for completing each of the various collections. You will receive approximately 20% of the XP that would be necessary for the level each collection is intended for, as well as another 20% for completion of the entire zone. Some collections also come attached with items and titles!
Once you're done with your own collection, or if you just find yourself in need of a little plat, many of these collection items are tradable. There's likely to be a thriving market for the rarer pieces, so price yours accordingly!
- A collectible item will have the "Collectible" tag in the item display window.
- To collect an item, right click on the item. When collecting an item you'll receive a notification message. Collection achievements will then update.
- Main Article: Achievements - Slayer
|“|| Most Norrathians might see a skunk wandering across Butcherblock and think, "I'll leave him alone. I have other things to attend to." That was before EverQuest: Rain of Fear! Now, there will be a reason to mercilessly slaughter the innocent (and not so innocent) creatures of Norrath: Achievements!
Now, every mob that you kill in Norrath has an achievement attached to it. The achievements compile based on the number of each type of mob that you kill. As Assistant Designer Chris "Dzarn" Black says, "There's never not a reason to kill something."
The primary rewards for this new system are new special AAs and titles. As you kill more and more of each type of mob, you begin to learn more about the weaknesses of each individual race. Once you've slain enough of a particular group of mobs you'll earn a special AA that deals damage to that particular race.
Here is a selection of some of the Achievements you can earn:
There is also a premiere title you can earn for completing all parts of the hunter system. With 722 different mob types in game, this new system presents a massive wall of achievements to be earned!
- When killing an NPC that is part of a Slayer achievement, you'll automatically get updated and your current kill counts can be viewed in the achievement window.
- The Corrupted Temple - Instanced raid zone version of the north wing of Temple of Veeshan. This zone is not related to the other zones in the expansion and is not part of the raid progression.
- East Wastes: Zeixshi-Kar's Awakening - This is a version of The Eastern Wastes.
- Kael Drakkel: The King's Madness - This is a version of Kael Drakkel.
- Shard's Landing - Starting and hub zone. Accessible from Erillion, City of Bronze.
- The Crystal Caverns: Fragment of Fear - This is a version of Crystal Caverns.
- Chapterhouse of the Fallen - This a new section of the Befallen zone.
- Evantil, the Vile Oak - This is a version of Beasts' Domain.
- Grelleth's Palace, the Chateau of Filth - This is a new section of the tunnels under The Resplendent Temple.
- The Breeding Grounds - This is a new section of tunnels under Dragon Necropolis.
- Valley of King Xorbb - End zone. This is a version of the Gorge of King Xorbb.
Tier 3 (Shadow of Fear)
Tier 4 (Heart of Fear)
Getting to RoF
Note that you can use the Find menu to locate these.
- Shard's Landing <> Erillion, City of Bronze: In Erillion, City of Bronze there is a tunnel in the northeast wall of the zone (loc 1830, -110). Going down the tunnel will take you to Shard's Landing.
- The Harbinger's Staff, a RoF Pre-Order Item, provides transport once every 72 minutes to Erillion, City of Bronze.
- Chapterhouse of the Fallen <> Commonlands: In the Commonlands outside of Befallen at loc -1000, 975 there is a purple crystal. Clicking it will take you to Chapterhouse of the Fallen.
- Chelsith Reborn <> The Grey: In The Grey, the lake the sun revenants are around has a crystal on the bottom of it. Clicking it will take you to Chelsith Reborn.
- Evantil, the Vile Oak <> Beasts' Domain: Climbing up a root in the southwest most part of the zone (location -6030, 3300), near where Tangledeath spawns, in Beasts' Domain will take you to Evantil, the Vile Oak.
- Grelleth's Palace, the Chateau of Filth <> The Resplendent Temple: In the tunnels beneath The Resplendent Temple at Udgar the Brave (loc 2900, 100, -325) is a purple crystal. Clicking it will take you to Grelleth's Palace, the Chateau of Filth.
- East Wastes: Zeixshi-Kar's Awakening <> Eastern Wastes: In the southeastern most part of Eastern Wastes is a purple crystal at loc -9100, -4180. Clicking it will take you to East Wastes: Zeixshi-Kar's Awakening.
- Plane of Shadow <> Vex Thal: In Vex Thal, as you exit the entry tunnel into the 'open area', go to your left along the wall. You will find a crystal. Clicking it will take you to Plane of Shadows. If you enter the big building or go into the water, you've gone too far.
- The Breeding Grounds <> Dragon Necropolis: In the eastern most part of Dragon Necropolis is a purple crystal at loc -70, -2725. Do not go in the tunnels. Clicking it will take you to The Breeding Grounds.
- Valley of King Xorbb <> Gorge of King Xorbb: On the north wall in the center of the Gorge of King Xorbb at Diggs Duggun is a purple crystal at loc 1275, -530. Clicking it will take you to the Valley of King Xorbb.
A "Stone of the Shard's Fall", on sale from the portal crystal NPC for 263pp, will take you to Harbinger's Outpost in Shard's Landing.
The "Stone of the Shard's Fall" was not on sale when the expansion was released. For the same reason the druid and wizard ports were not available, see below.
Druid and Wizard ports
|“||The druid ring needs to be built before the portal spells will become available. Keep turning in those shards!||”|
Traveling around RoF
It appears that traveling around RoF will be much easier than other expansions.
- In Shard's Landing there are several portals. Each portal has a Portal Tender which will give you a Portal Activation quest. Take the "attuning crystal" they give you and click it in the zone the portal goes to and then you can use the Shard's Landing portals to travel there in the future. See "Hoof it" above to get to the zones in order to complete the Portal Activation quests.
- Kael Drakkel: The King's Madness is reached through a zone line in East Wastes: Zeixshi-Kar's Awakening.
- The Corrupted Temple is reached through Western Wastes (Velious) at the entrance to Temple of Veeshan. You must have at least six in your group / raid to spawn a raid instance and enter.
- The Crystal Caverns: Fragment of Fear is reached through a zone line in East Wastes: Zeixshi-Kar's Awakening.
Zone connections map
It appears there is no group progression in RoF. There will be two tiers of group content. The difference appears to be in mob difficulty and loot. There are no locked zones.
The only "progression" involves being able to request group missions and raids. Doing each zone's Partisan tasks allows you to request missions, and doing the Partisan tasks and missions enables you to request raids in that zone (completing other raids may also be required for some raids).
As with Veil of Alaris, the raids are scaled up versions of group missions (or the group missions are scaled down versions of the raids:).
Most information on Rank II and Rank III spells and Type 3 augs obtained from EQ Resource.
You can go to various NPCs at p400, p75 in Shard's Landing and buy Rank I spells.
Rank II spells are obtained by turning in "Dreadmote" items to Tomekeeper Kerkaz in Shard's Landing. Tell him, "Dreadmote". These Dreadmotes drop in all Rain of Fear zones. Each named has a chance to drop one. Mission Chests also drop a single Dreadmote. You can 'downgrade' your Dreadmote to a lower level one if you wish by picking that option as a reward of the turn in quest.
- Level 96 - Minor Dreadmote
- Level 97 - Lesser Dreadmote
- Level 98 - Median Dreadmote
- Level 99 - Greater Dreadmote
- Level 100 - Glowing Dreadmote
Rank III spells are obtained by turning in "Terrormote" items to Tomekeeper Kerkaz in Shard's Landing. Tell him, "Terrormote". These fragments drop from chests on RoF Raids. You can 'downgrade' your Terrormote to a lower level one if you wish by picking that option as a reward of the turn in quest.
- Level 96 - Minor Terrormote
- Level 97 - Lesser Terrormote
- Level 98 - Median Terrormote
- Level 99 - Greater Terrormote
- Level 100 - Glowing Terrormote
Type 3 augs
In Rain of Fear, no templates are needed to make the armor.
Master Armorer Synlaris in Shard's Landing sells Essence Augmentor and Rust-Tinged Box of Fear.
|“||Master Armorer Synlaris smiles, 'Greetings, Fanra. I am Diandra Synlaris. Should you need the components necessary to construct armor empowered from the essences from creatures you have defeated in the field then I will be happy to assist you. You may be pleasantly surprised in the way we have simplified the construction of these suits of armor.'||”|
What will not pleasantly surprise you is the price of each of those items is 13k and 11k platinum respectively.
To make Tier 1 group and raid armor, place the dropped item in a Rust-Tinged Box of Fear and hit the Combine button (the box isn't consumed, and can be used unlimited times).
To make Tier 2 group and raid armor, place the dropped item and a Tier 1 piece of the same slot in the Rust-Tinged Box of Fear and hit Combine. Again, the box will not be consumed. If you don't have a Tier 1 piece, you can use an Essence Augmentor in its place. This will use up the Essence Augmentor.
To make Tier 3 group and raid armor, place the dropped item and a Tier 2 piece of the same slot in the Rust-Tinged Box of Fear and hit Combine. Again, the box will not be consumed. If you don't have a Tier 2 piece, you can use an Essence Augmentor in its place. This will use up the Essence Augmentor.
Beastlords, Necromancers, Shadowknights, and Shaman can change the focus on their wrists by placing it in a Rust-Tinged Box of Fear and hitting combine.
- Tier 1 group armor is called Boreal. The piece that is used to create them is called Fear Touched.
- Tier 2 group armor is called Distorted. The piece that is used to create them is called Fear Stained.
- Tier 3 group armor is called Twilight. The piece that is used to create them is called Fear Washed.
- Tier 4 group armor is called Frightweave. The piece that is used to create them is called Fear Infused.
In addition to mob drops for raid armor, you should be able to use raid alternate currency to purchase it.
- Tier 1 raid armor is called Gelid. The piece that is used to create them is called Dread Touched.
- Tier 2 raid armor is called Apocryphal. The piece that is used to create them is called Dread Stained or just Dread.
- Tier 3 raid armor is called Silvershade. The piece that is used to create them is called Dread Washed.
- Tier 4 raid armor is called Dreadweave. The piece that is used to create them is called Dread Infused.
There are several new types of alternate currency in Rain of Fear.
- Expedient Delivery Vouchers
Expedient Delivery Vouchers are purchased with Station Cash and are used to have items delivered directly to your character after being purchased from a player trader.
- Velium Shards
- Crystallized Fear
Lore and video trailer
- See also: SOE announcement (below)
|The power of Fear, captured from its home plane by the Alarans and now freed from the grasp of the Triumvirate, is falling back to Norrath's surface in crystallized form.
The largest fragment of this power crashed on Alaris, very near to Erillion, the City of Bronze, but other powerful shards are falling elsewhere across the continents.
A new pathway is open outside of Erillion that leads to Shard's Landing, where followers of Cazic-Thule vie with other power-seekers in an attempt to restore their god.
Norrath's heroes are called into this conflict to prevent the rise of an even greater danger than the Triumvirate.
|“|| EverQuest celebrates an unprecedented 20th major game release with the Rain of Fear™ Expansion. Thirteen years after the initial launch of EverQuest and 19 expansions later, Rain of Fear™ continues an exciting storyline that started two years ago with the mysterious House of Thule™ Expansion, and continued in Veil of Alaris™.
You and your friends destroyed the newly created god, The Triumverate, causing an explosion that rocked Norrath and released the stolen power of fear. This power is returning to Norrath, falling from the sky in the form of crystalline shards. Who will gain control of the essence of fear and bring balance between good and evil?
The Harbingers of Thule entreat you to gather the essence of their lost god before it falls into the hands of others. You will uncover the mysteries of the giant crystals that have fallen to Norrath, explore newly discovered lands, revisit the frozen wastes of Velious, and battle old foes empowered by shards, confront them and reclaim the power of fear.
Along the way you will progress up to the unprecedented level of 100! We're pretty excited to see the first character reach level 100 in EverQuest, a true gaming landmark.
We will also be adding a few amazing features to this classic game. We will be adding a way to track your relative aggro level. Ever wanted to know when the bad guy was about to turn around and mash your rogue before it happened? With the new aggro meter if you get caught over-aggroing, you'll have no real excuse. There are also new Collection and Hunter Tasks; these will allow you to gather up various items all over Norrath as well as track your kills to gain new titles and new rewards. Want to become the Gnollslayer? Gnomeslayer? Now you can. We will also be making some major improvements to the brokering system. The Autonomous Brokering system (name may change if people continue to have issues pronouncing it...) is something that you have asked us for, something that we've wanted to make for you, for years. You will be able to turn off your computer and keep your trader up in Bazaar!
From EQ Community News:
|“|| The pre-order for Rain of Fear is now available!
For a limited time only, order Rain of Fear and receive special bonus items upon release of the expansion. We have two great offers available:
Standard - $39.99
Go here to place your pre-order today!
We will publish images of all the in-game items from the Standard and Collector's Editions as soon as we have can – we're excited to see them too!
|“||As an extra bonus, everyone who purchases EverQuest: Rain of Fear will receive 10 Expedited Delivery Vouchers (usable with our new Autonomous Brokering System), and those who purchase the Collector's Edition will receive an additional 10 Expedited Delivery Vouchers (for a total of 20 vouchers).||”|
SOE Live All Access Pass purchasers
Those who purchased an SOE Live All Access Pass will receive the Standard edition at no extra cost. For an additional $20 they may pre-order the Digital Collector's Edition instead.
To order the Digital Collector's Edition, go to the RoF order page. Click on the Pre-Order Now! button and sign in. There you should see something similar to the image to the right. Just order the Digital Collector's Edition and as you go through the process, it will look like you're buying it for $59.99, but on the page where you select how to pay for it, is a tiny line of text way at the bottom, where no one would normally think to look, and it says SoE live attendees will only be charged $20 when it comes to the actual time to bill it.