^ Advertisement. Don't like to see ads? Click here to donate and avoid them.^
The Darkened Sea
The Darkened Sea (TDS) is EverQuest's 21st expansion. It was released for All Access members on October 28, 2014 and for Free to play accounts on November 11, 2014. Purchase of either the Standard or the Collector's edition is required to access TDS.
The Darkened Sea comes in two editions, Standard and Collector's.
All Access discount
|“||If you’re an All-Access member, you can purchase and play this expansion two weeks early (starting on Tuesday, October 28) and you can take 10% off your purchase of either the Standard or Collector’s Edition of The Darkened Sea!||”|
The Standard Edition of The Darkened Sea will be available for $39.99. It will include (in addition to access to The Darkened Sea):
- Four paintings for your house or guild hall:
- Painting: Coastal Brigand
- Painting: Forgetful Strike
- Painting: Speed of Faith
- Painting: The Darkened Sea
- Contract of the Lizardman - Lizardman mercenary (for each character on your account)
- Metamorph Totem: Ankylosaurus - Summon an Ankylosaurus dinosaur pet or transform your current pet into an Ankylosaurus dinosaur (for each character on your account).
The Collector’s Edition of The Darkened Sea will be available for $89.99. If you already own the Standard Edition, you can upgrade it to the Collector's Edition for $50.00. It includes all of the items from the Standard Edition, plus the following:
- Heroic Character - Players will be able to claim a single Heroic Character.
- The Heroic Character will come with:
- 15,000 Platinum
- Jungle Raptor Mount
- Two 24-Slot Bags
- Thousands of Auto-Granted Alternative Advancement Abilities (AA’s)
- Full Set of Equipment, including weapons, armor, Power Source and Charm
- Food, Drink, and Ammo
- 100 Bayle Marks
- The Wayward Lady House - You will receive one sailing ship house.
- Contract of the Arc Worker - Arc worker mercenary. Each character on your account will be able to obtain a Contract of the Arc Worker.
- Brother Island Parrot Whistle - This item transports you directly to Brother Island using a VERY large parrot. This item has a 1 hour recast on it.
- The choice of one of three colors of armored mounts:
- Bronze Armor Battle Cat Saddle
- Cerulean Armor Battle Cat Saddle
- Crimson Armor Battle Cat Saddle
This mount grants the Mount Blessing Dena Buff (400 mana, 500 health, 120 armor).
In addition, if you want additional Armor Battle Cat colors, they’ll be available in the Marketplace for 2995 SC, only for players that own The Darkened Sea Collector’s Edition.
Those who already own the Collector's Edition are able to /claim these items after the game update.
- Level Cap Increase to 105
- New Spells, AAs, and Items for Level 105
- Mount Key Ring
- New Tradeskills, new cultural gear.
- New Spells
- New AAs
- Auto-Granted AAs from House of Thule to All Access characters (if auto-grant enabled).
- New Hero's Forge armor sets.
Level 101+ Pre-CotF XP nerf
|“||Once you hit level 101, content released prior to Call of the Forsaken will grant less experience. This includes tasks, rewards, and farming NPCs.||”|
Mob hit points
|“|| It's worth noting that there are two different tables of NPC tuning that were used in the expansion. The first is a "normal" HP table that was an increase over past expansions, but it should be about what you're used to for normal difficulty increased between expansions. Eye balling it, it's about 20% up from CotF for tier 2 (Caverns of Endless Song, Brother Island), and another 20% for Tier 3 (Thulliasaur and Arx Mentis). The second table has double the normal HP and double the XP mod. As mentioned by other ins in the thread there many classes that have abilities that are better suited to longer fights, and wanted to make those more widely useful. Most zones have a majority of the normal monsters you're used to, with a sprinkling of the higher HP monsters usually distinguished by unique names or appearances.
Tier 2 normal monsters have about 2.8M for base population with rares having about 10M.
Tier 3 normal monsters have about 3.3M for base population with rares having about 14M.
If you see something dramatically out of bounds from that then its probably an error.
|“||I should have also mentioned they do about 80% of the damage of a normal mob to somewhat mitigate the downsides of a longer fight.||”|
Higher tier zones are locked until you complete certain missions.
- Katta Castrum: Deluge
- Tempest Temple - Hub zone. Worshipers of Karana seeking to create the perfect storm.
- Arx Mentis - Final zone. This zone is a floating fortress of the Combine Empire.
- Combine Dredge - Mining platforms to harvest from the bottom of the ocean. Raised from the ocean by magic.
- Degmar, the Lost Castle - Insane dwarves. Magical barrier keeps out the sea.
- Thuliasaur Island - Dinosaurs and lizardmen. And Drogmor. Temple to Cazic-Thule.
Getting to TDS
- Characters will be able to zone from The Buried Sea (Monkey Island) to Tempest Temple (hub zone).
- The guild portal item "Drowned Katta Castrum Powerstone" takes you to Katta Castrum: Deluge.
- Druid teleport spells to Tempest Temple (Ring, Circle, Zephyr) sold for about 14k platinum each by Marcas Hanrahan (Druid Teleportation Spells) in Tempest Temple.
- Wizard teleport spells to Tempest Temple (Gate, Portal, Translocate) sold for about 14k platinum each by Researcher Adrastea (Wizard Teleportation Spells) in Katta Castrum: Deluge.
Zone connections map
Some zones will be locked until you complete certain missions.
Completing the following missions will grant you access to Caverns of Endless Song:
- A Rising Storm - Given by Mate Rominald in Tempest Temple. Allakhazam EQResource
- Gathering Clouds - Given by Krinoch Jal in Tempest Temple. Allakhazam EQResource
- Clearer Skies - Given by Ognit Eznertob in Tempest Temple. Allakhazam EQResource
- The Pellarus Sanctum - Given by Head Mage Antius in Katta Castrum: Deluge. Allakhazam EQResource
- The Edge of Balance - Given by Firiona Vie in Katta Castrum: Deluge. Allakhazam EQResource
- The Absent Scholar - Given by Firiona Vie in Katta Castrum: Deluge. Allakhazam EQResource
Completing the following missions will grant you access to Degmar, the Lost Castle:
- Just Recompense - Given by Jameswell Dagmire in Brother Island. Allakhazam EQResource
- The Cover of Night - Given by Quigley Barnables in Brother Island. Allakhazam EQResource
- Loyal is the Heart - Given by Brother Dilgen in Caverns of Endless Song. Allakhazam EQResource
- Leave No Brother Behind - Given by Brother Dilgen in Caverns of Endless Song. Allakhazam EQResource
- Two Sides of the Shield - Given by Brother Visius in Caverns of Endless Song. Allakhazam EQResource
Completing the following missions will grant you access to Thuliasaur Island:
- The Sacred Profaned - Given by Thubr Axebringer in Degmar, the Lost Castle. Allakhazam EQResource
- Castle Relic - Given by Priestess Gli'helin in Degmar, the Lost Castle. Allakhazam EQResource
- Crying for the Dead - Given by Thubr Axebringer in Degmar, the Lost Castle. Allakhazam EQResource
- Burden of the Past - Given by Thubr Axebringer in Degmar, the Lost Castle. Allakhazam EQResource
Completing the following missions will grant you access to Combine Dredge:
- An Endless Cycle - Given by Lyirae Oakynd in Thuliasaur Island. Allakhazam EQResource
- To Remake Eden - Given by Galeth Veredeth in Thuliasaur Island. Allakhazam EQResource
- Fit for the New World - Given by Galeth Veredeth in Thuliasaur Island. Allakhazam EQResource
Completing the following missions will grant you access to Arx Mentis:
- A Fickle Wind Blows - Given by Firiona Vie in Combine Dredge. Allakhazam EQResource
- What Hate Begets - Given by Firiona Vie in Combine Dredge. Allakhazam EQResource
- Deep Lies the Snow - Given by Firiona Vie in Combine Dredge. Allakhazam EQResource
- Free Us From Ourselves - Allakhazam EQResource
- A Beginning From an End - Allakhazam EQResource
- All Rivers Lead to the Sea - Allakhazam EQResource
- The Cost of Balance - Allakhazam EQResource
New to TDS are "One Off" raids. These raids will give participants a 4.5 day lockout upon requesting the raid. The lockout remains even if you fail. Both One Off raids spawn when you beat Defense of the City. However, Praetor Vitio spawns in the Tier 2 part of the zone and not accessible without flagging.
All seven raids take place in the same instance of Arx Mentis. You can request the raids from Firiona Vie in both Katta Castrum: Deluge and Arx Mentis.
You have to flag for access to Tier 2 and Tier 3 raid instance areas. Unflagged players entering the higher tier areas get kicked to the entrance area.
Rank I are purchased from vendors in Katta Castrum: Deluge. They can be found using the Find window (Ctrl-F).
Rank II spell essences drop from any random mob, more often from named mobs. Right clicking on the essence will pop-up a reward window, no need to turn them in.
- Minor Briny Essence - Level 101
- Lesser Briny Essence - Level 102
- Median Briny Essence - Level 103
- Greater Briny Essence - Level 104
- Glowing Briny Essence - Level 105
Rank III spell essences are gotten from raid chests. Right clicking on the essence will pop-up a reward window, no need to turn them in.
- Minor Essence of the Citadel - Level 101
- Lesser Essence of the Citadel - Level 102
- Median Essence of the Citadel - Level 103
- Greater Essence of the Citadel - Level 104
- Glowing Essence of the Citadel - Level 105
- See: Getting to TDS
There are three tiers of group gear and one tier of raid gear.
The armor system remains like that of the past few expansions. Group armor templates drop from named mobs. Raid armor templates come from raid chests.
Armor templates are combined inside a Synthesis Chamber. The Synthesis Chamber is not used up in the process. For tier 2 and tier 3 group armor, if you have the lower level armor piece, you place it in the Synthesis Chamber with the template and hit combine. If you do not have the lower level armor piece, you need to combine the template with a Combine Armor Matrix.
Even though there is only one tier of raid armor, you still need to use a Combine Armor Matrix with the Synthesis Chamber to make it.
- Tier 1 dropped item is "Castaway <slot name>" It makes "Castaway <slot name> of <class specific name>"
- Tier 2 dropped item is "Tideworn <slot name>" It makes "Tideworn <slot name> of <class specific name>"
- Tier 3 dropped item is "Highwater <slot name>" It makes "Highwater <slot name> of <class specific name>"
- Dropped item is "Darkwater <slot name>" It makes "Darkwater <slot name> of <class specific name>"
TDS introduces two new alternate currency types.
- Arx Energy Crystal - 10 crystals are earned for each TDS raid win. Items purchased from Researcher Orbiana (Raid Merchant) in Katta Castrum: Deluge.
- Right-clicking 15 Fragment of the Citadel Key (given to each participant on a Defense of the City raid win) gains you the achievement Destroyer of the Praetor which rewards you with 250 Arx Energy Crystals.
- Right-clicking 30 Fragment of the Apitarx Key (given to each participant on a tier 2 raid win) gains you the achievement Destroyer of the Citadel which rewards you with 250 Arx Energy Crystals.
- Right-clicking 10 Calix Quirinus' Key (given to each participant on a Calix Quirinus raid win) gains you the achievement Destroyer of Calix Quirinus which rewards you with 250 Arx Energy Crystals.
- Main article: The Darkened Sea factions
For TDS, faction matters once more. In order to get some quests, you need good faction with various groups. See the main article for details.
Quest reward chests
Most quests and instanced missions in TDS do not have rewards chests for completing them. Some do.
|“|| Here's a list of missions / instanced quests with chests at the end:
Tempest Temple - Clear Skies
|“|| Firiona Vie has been traveling the world on a mission from the goddess Tunare to bring the realm back into balance. Her latest efforts have brought her to the Buried Sea, seeking to heal the ruler of the Combine Empire, Tsaph Katta.
Now it’s time for you to travel to the domed city of Katta Castrum and find Firiona! After Firiona came here with her allies to heal Tsaph, the city was attacked by Lanys T`vyl and a corrupt splinter faction of the Combine. In the chaos, Tsaph was kidnapped. Now it’s up to Norrath’s heroes to find and rescue Tsaph, foil the nefarious plans Lanys has, and acquire amazing loot along the way!
SOE Live Keynote
SOE Live 2014: EverQuest - The Darkened Sea Expansion Keynote
Preview videos below released by SOE. Note that they are all without sound except for the robes video:
(Videos open in new tab)
|Arx Mentis||Caverns of Endless Song|
|Combine Dredge||Degmar, the Lost Castle|
|Tempest Temple||Thuliasaur Island|
All are welcome to use them for fan websites or personal use. Videos copyright Sony Online Entertainment LLC.
|“||As announced at SOE Live, The Darkened Sea will be our 21st Expansion and it will be launched in a slightly different way than in years past. We do not plan on having a Pre-Order period this year before the launch date. However, if you are an All-Access Member, you will be able to buy and get into the expansion on October 28, two weeks earlier than our full release on November 11, 2014. We are also working on an easy way for players to purchase the expansion plus a monthly subscription to get in quickly and avoid getting left behind. Stay tuned for those details very soon.||”|