Monks devote their energies to the pursuit of physical perfection, shaping their very bodies into deadly machines. Monks are a melee class with the ability to wear leather armor, wield blunt weapons, and use unarmed combat styles.
Monks forego heavy armor and most weapons in order to hone themselves into masters of combat, using their fists and a stout staff to make their mark upon Norrath. Monks learn many special attacks to enhance their damage dealing abilities, including the dragon punch and the legendary flying kick.
In their martial studies monks also learn other useful skills, including the ability to move silently and fall safely from great heights. Experienced monks also learn to feign death, slowing their body's functions enough to fool most observers into believing them dead -- this trick often allows the monk to escape dangerous situations as monsters wander off, thinking the monk defeated.
Monks are a specialist class, focusing on physical combat to the exclusion of all else. Monks provide a powerful ally in a group, though it's not unusual to see a monk adventuring alone. The monk is a good choice for players who enjoy a strong offensive role in combat and leading groups in their dungeon adventures.
Monks are excellent at "pulling", getting a single mob from a group of several.
Items[edit | edit source]
- Earthen Fist - Procs swarm pet
- Fabled Earthen Fist - Procs swarm pet. Only drops during anniversary.
Removes mob buffs[edit | edit source]
- Mist-Blessed Leather Tunic - Effect: Abolishing Mist (Any Slot/Can Equip, Casting Time: 1.0). Abolishing Mist removes beneficial magical effects (buffs) from your target.
- Obtained through this quest: Tenish's Leather Armor (Part 2). The quest Tenish's Leather Armor (Part 1) is needed to obtain the Blessed Leather Tunic needed to do Part 2.
- It also can be purchased for 180 Marks of Valor from Merchant Chebel (Group Merchant level 75) in Ethernere Tainted West Karana.
- Fiercehand Shroud of the Focused - Effect: Silent Disturbance (Any Slot/Can Equip, Casting Time: 0.8). Silent Disturbance removes beneficial magical effects (buffs) from your target.
- Obtained through this quest: Lenarsk's Leather Armor (Tier 2).
- Osh`vir`s Whisperwind Tunic - Effect: Whispering Wind (Any Slot/Can Equip, Casting Time: 0.7). Whispering Wind removes beneficial magical effects (buffs) from your target.
- Obtained through this quest: Terraxs's Leather Armor (Part 2). The quest Terraxs's Leather Armor (Part 1) is needed to obtain the Whisperwind Tunic needed to do Part 2.
- Hardened Energeiac Leather Tunic - Effect: Whispering Wind (Any Slot/Can Equip, Casting Time: 0.7). Whispering Wind removes beneficial magical effects (buffs) from your target.
- Obtained through unlocking the item with the Raid Expedition: Solteris, the Throne of Ro and then purchasing it with 700 Phosphene.
Epics[edit | edit source]
- Monk Epic 1.0: Celestial Fists
- Monk Epic 1.5 Pre-Quest - Needed to obtain the Epic 1.5 if you do not have or wish to obtain the Epic 1.0.
- Monk Epic 1.5: Fistwraps of Celestial Discipline
- Note: Quigli might not respond properly to your hail. If you are at the right point of the quest, you can just say, "I will Defeat your Crew", and he will attack and you can loot the item off his body.
- Monk Epic 2.0: Transcended Fistwraps of Immortality
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Weight limits[edit | edit source]
The following is from a post by Dzarn, EQ Developer. It supersedes any weight information in the chart above.
Based on your level you have a hard cap on the amount of weight you can carry and you have a soft cap on the weight you can carry.
Level 1: HardCap 30: Softcap 14
Level 15: HardCap 32: SoftCap 15
Level 30: HardCap 34: SoftCap 16
Level 45: HardCap 36: SoftCap 17
Level 51: HardCap 38: SoftCap 18
Level 55: HardCap 40: SoftCap 20
Level 60: HardCap 45: SoftCap 24
Level 62: HardCap 47: SoftCap 24
Level 64: HardCap 50: SoftCap 24
Level 65: HardCap 53: SoftCap 26
Level 70: HardCap 53: SoftCap 28
Level 75: HardCap 53: SoftCap 30
Level 80: HardCap 54: SoftCap 31
Level 85: HardCap 55: SoftCap 32
Level 90: HardCap 56: SoftCap 33
Level 95: HardCap 57: SoftCap 34
Level 100: HardCap 58: SoftCap 35
ACBonus = PlayerLevel + 5
If Weight > SoftCap:
Reduction = (Weight - SoftCap) * 6.66667
If Reduction > 100.0: = 100.0
Reduction = (100 - Reduction) / 100
ACBonus = ACBonus*Reduction
If ACBonus < 0: = 0
ACBonus = (4 * ACBonus) / 3
Penalty = PlayerLevel +5
Multiplier = (Weight - (HardCap-10.0))/100.0
If Multiplier > 1.0: = 1.0
Penalty = (4 * Penalty) / 3
Penalty = Multiplier * Penalty
Activated combat skills[edit | edit source]
It is recommended that monks use Kick until reaching level 5, when Round Kick becomes available. At level 30, monks should then use Flying Kick instead of Round Kick. The later skills should do more damage.
Typing /autoskill into your chat window allows you to toggle combat skills to automatically activate while attacking.
[edit | edit source]
Here is a suggested button that monks can make to lower their aggro during a fight. This button will, when pressed: Feign Death, Stand up, turn on attack. This usually (but not always) lowers your aggro.
It is recommended that you pay attention to your aggro number in the Aggro Meter and use this button whenever it gets high (over 60%).
References[edit | edit source]